Preparing your home winter season
Cold weather is here, homeowners should have a laundry list of items to attend to in securing their homes for winter months. To help keep your home running smoothly throughout the winter, here are some winter maintenance tips composed by our home inspector.
Areas to address are:
- Cleaning the gutters.
- Cutting back tree branches close to the house
- Storing the outdoor furniture
- Air Leaks: Checking for air leaks around the windows
- Heating System: Having the heating unit serviced for the winter season by a qualified heating and cooling company
- Fireplace: Clean the chimney to prevent any chimney fires
- Sprinkler system: Have the sprinkler system winterized
- Pipes: Check any pipes that are exposed to cold for insulation to prevent any freezes or bursting
- Entry points: Tightly seal all entry points
- Monitor for cracks, crevices or gaps in siding, door and window screens, and around pipes, as these areas can serve as entry points for pests.